The Quick Serve Restaurant (QSR) business is changing at the speed of technology. Be it the aftermath of COVID or simply the speed of advancement, for most consumers, today’s QSR experience flows through the drive-thru (increasingly driven by better tech), cell phones, and brand apps.
New technology can capture a massive amount of information about evolving customer behavior – the QSR brands that succeed are the ones with systems robust enough to harness that data to leverage later. Consider the following:
- 75% of all fast-food sales now come through the drive-thru.
- Online food ordering has grown 300% faster than dine-in since 2014 and now accounts for roughly 40% of total restaurant sales.
- Around 59% of millennial restaurant orders are for takeout or delivery.
- About 92% of all top-performing restaurants offer mobile order-ahead and loyalty rewards programs or a combination of both.
- About 64% of consumers prefer to order digitally on-premises at a QSR.
The metrics that have always driven QSR – quality, speed of service, and value – are still crucial to traffic and loyalty. When good, they clearly build relationship. When bad, they drive unforgiving consumers to other options that grow in number every year.